Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tournament!

Pre-op appointment is today and surgery is now 2 1/2 weeks away. I'm trying to enjoy my last bit of freedom before I'm down for the count and/or crutching everywhere. So, what's the logical (illogical thing probably for most people) thing for a competitive minded martial artist to do...compete in a tournament! Yep, that's what I did on Saturday.



Knowing that I'm probably not going to be competing until next January I really wanted to get in the mix one last time. I only competed in forms and weapons...no sparring. I've been working on my form the last few weeks and did some adjustments to avoid pivoting too much on my kicks. And of course I had a hinged knee brace on.



I felt great being out there! Obviously I noticed a big difference with the power of my kicking techniques with my left leg and how much I was able to chamber/re-chamber/jump etc. My knee wanted to argue a few times during the form, but I got through it. I wanted to spar in the worst way, but knew better than to push it too far.



After closing ceremonies I was filled with mixed emotions. I was proud of myself for getting out there, giving it my best and doing well. But I was a bit bummed knowing how much I'll miss in the next year. Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment