Friday, April 23, 2010

Pre-Op Appointment

My pre-op appointment went well. Nothing remarkable to report. I had my blood drawn and it was the most painless needle stick I've ever had. I'll have my blood drawn again the day of surgery just to make sure the Coumadin is out of my system. I take my last dose Wednesday 4/28.

Post surgery I will need to give myself daily injections of Lovenox for about 4 weeks or until I'm moving around on a regular basis without crutches. Lovenox is also a blood thinner, but does not require as much monitoring as Coumadin so it's easier than Coumadin for a short amount of time. I've already had the Lovenox script filled. The medicine is at home and ready to go. I'm not looking forward to having small bruises all over my hips for a month.

I've downloaded a new book (The Last Lecture) for the time I'll spend laying horizontal after surgery. My hubby says it's a pretty inspirational. I'll also have my i-pod all charged up and ready to go with episodes of Six Feet Under. I've already placed an order for breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. I'm planning to take a little over two weeks off work. It may be a little too much time, but I'll be able to cut it short if I feel like going back sooner. But then again I may enjoy the amount of sleep I'll for sure be getting! Writing this I was getting all giddy about the unlimited rest, reading and show watching...almost forgot that I'll have some pain to deal with. LOL!

1 comment:

  1. I picked up The Last Lecture too. I'm not sure if I'll end up reading it right now or not. I saw the real last lecture video and it is a real tear jerker! If you ever have to chance to watch it, it is well worth the time!

    ReplyDelete