Saturday, May 8, 2010

Surgery

Surgery...three months and 2 weeks in the making! Finally. I was thankful to be scheduled for 8:30am. The morning was a blur with little waiting around time. Once I arrived at the office I was called back within 2 minutes and they immediately got to work...verifying information, changing into my awesome hospital gown, putting on compression socks, getting my IV started etc etc.

The resident initialed my left knee and the surgeon verified it to ensure they were operating on the correct leg. I was relieved to see him do that and for good reason! Earlier in the week there had been a slight mix-up when talking to the scheduler lady. She was giving me the run down on preparing for surgery and reminded me to scrub under my fingernails really well on the hand that was to be operated on. Whoa! Time out! No hand involved. Turns out she had accidentally flipped computer screens and was looking at someone elses info while she was explaining that section to me. She was very apologetic and we got it straightened out before hanging up. It was still a relief to see the resident initial my leg and have some assurance that I wouldn't wake up with a cast on my hand and a still bum ACL.

The anesthesiologist gave me a shot of feel good stuff as he wheeled me away from my hubby. My hubby said I had a dopey smile on my face. I recall being wheeled into the operating room and a group of people saying "hi" to me, but that's it. Next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room with other nurses talking to me. I had a huge knee brace on with an ace bandage wrap under it from my ankle to mid-quad. My hubby was called back to the recovery room at about 1pm and we were home at 2:20pm. They don't waste time kicking you out the door. It didn't really make much different to me. Once I was home my hubby helped me to the couch and I passed out. I remember eating dinner and continually icing with my new cooler pump, but not much else. Maybe that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment